Danaher Corporation Associate Scientist in Sunnyvale, California
Danaher Company Description
At Cepheid, we are passionate about improving healthcare through faster, more accurate diagnostic tests. With our GeneXpert® System, we’ve taken the most sophisticated molecular technology and packaged it into an automated, easy-to-use format that has quickly become the platform of choice worldwide. From the largest laboratories to small physician offices, our game-changing solution delivers critical answers when clinicians and patients need them most. Through strong molecular biology capabilities and ongoing product innovation, we are focused on developing tests for healthcare-associated infections, sexual health, critical infectious disease, virology, and oncology applications. Come join our vision for abetter wayand help make life better for us all! For more details, visit us atwww.cepheid.comor follow us on Twitter (@CepheidNews).
The Oncology Research Associate Scientist/Postdoc is a bench level position focusing on innovation, translational research and early development of in vitro diagnostic (IVD) assays. The Research Associate Scientist/Postdoc will lead projects and support teams in the research and development of novel assays for identifying and characterizing cancer. They will have proficiency in PCR, qPCR, RT-qPCR, in-depth knowledge of nucleic acids, enzymes and sample types (e.g. blood, plasma, FFPE, and urine) and will be knowledgable in experimental design and laboratory practices.
• Hands-on evaluation, testing and development of new sample preparation procedures and assay prototypes.
• Experimental design, analysis, interpretations and reporting of results, maintaining detailed experimental records.
• Prepare and purify DNA and RNA perform GeneXpert assays and other real-time PCR assays as required.
• Maintain and promote a safe working environment and insures that all reagents and supplies meet quality control standards.
• Executes studies based on existing procedures with limited guidance or direction.
• Performs real-time PCR optimization experiments using DOE (Design of Experiments)
• Maintain expertise through familiarity with scientific literature
• Participate in the group meetings and prepare weekly progress reports, acting as a resource for junior scientific colleagues.
Education and Experience*
• Bachelor’s degree with 2 years of related work experience OR
• Master’s degree in field with 0-2 years of related work experience in relevant field - e.g. Molecular Biology, Biochemistry, Bioengineering, Chemistry, Biology, Genetics or related field
Knowledge and Skills
• Experience with real time PCR or RT-PCR optimization
• Experience performing nucleic acidextraction/purification.
• Knowledge in handling clinical samples and ability to work in a BSL-2 environment. Knowledge of biological and chemical safety.
• Ability to ask questions and check for clarity and understanding. Solves straightforward problems.
• Knowledge of principles of quality control and quality assurance.
• Experience with providing informal guidance to new or junior team members.
• Excellent writing, communication, and organizational skills to include presentation to technical and non-technical audiences.
• Ability to work in a laboratory environment.
• Proficiency with statistical analysis tools such as Minitab or JMP.
Danaher Corporation Overview
Danaher is a global science & technology innovator committed to helping our customers solve complex challenges and improve quality of life worldwide. Our world class brands are leaders in some of the most demanding and attractive industries, including life sciences, medical diagnostics, dental, environmental and applied solutions. Our globally diverse team of 71,000 associates is united by a common culture and operating system, the Danaher Business System, which serves as our competitive advantage. We generated $19.9B in revenue last year. We are ranked #162 on the Fortune 500 and our stock has outperformed the S&P 500 by more than 5,200% over 25 years.
At Danaher, you can build a career in a way no other company can duplicate. Our brands allow us to offer dynamic careers across multiple industries. We're innovative, fast-paced, results-oriented, and we win. We need talented people to keep winning. Here you'll learn how DBS is used to shape strategy, focus execution, align our people, and create value for customers and shareholders. Come join our winning team.
Danaher is committed to competitive compensation that typically has key components including base salary, variable annual incentive compensation based on personal and company performance, and long-term incentive.
Job Function: Science
Primary Location: North America-North America-United States-CA-Sunnyvale
Req ID: CEP004193
Cepheid is an equal opportunity employer and strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination based upon an individual’s race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.