Danaher Corporation Automation Development Engineer in Sunnyvale, California
Danaher Company Description
At Cepheid, we are passionate about improving healthcare through faster, more accurate diagnostic tests. With our GeneXpert® System, we’ve taken the most sophisticated molecular technology and packaged it into an automated, easy-to-use format that has quickly become the platform of choice worldwide. From the largest laboratories to small physician offices, our game-changing solution delivers critical answers when clinicians and patients need them most. Through strong molecular biology capabilities and ongoing product innovation, we are focused on developing tests for healthcare-associated infections, sexual health, critical infectious disease, virology, and oncology applications. Come join our vision for abetter wayand help make life better for us all! For more details, visit us atwww.cepheid.comor follow us on Twitter (@CepheidNews).
The successful candidate will be the technical lead with subject matter expertise for the assembly process of consumable plastic components as used in medical devices. The candidate will develop assembly methods, equipment, and processes that enable efficient manufacturing for sustainable, large-scale medical device manufacturing. Must be able to use their knowledge of mechanical design, electrical controls, materials, and statistical analysis to engineer custom solutions, scalable equipment concepts, provide component design feedback, and interface with vendors to drive continuous improvement. They will use their experience in automation and assembly environments to support the validation and verification of consumables from the Concept phase through Design and Development and into Production. They will actively sustain and supportqualifications/validationsof new and existing processes and equipment throughout a product lifecycle.
This is a hands-on position involving process and part characterization, equipment development and engineering support of Production. Candidate must be able to interface well with other engineers, scientists, vendors, and operations personnel. There are no direct reports to this position.
ESSENTIAL JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
• Maintain and/or improve existing consumables parts automation and assembly methods, equipment, and processes, with an emphasis on improving manufacturability and maintaining integral product quality and performance.
• Use 3D CAD modeling, statistical analysis, hands on bench/line testing or other methods to characterize part attributes, process performance, and assembly characteristics.
• Proactively identify risks in the design of processes, equipment, and methods associated with consumables assembly and manufacturing.
• Establish working relationships with vendors for outsourcing of engineering services, equipment design, and analytical testing of consumables components.
• Assist in failure investigations and root cause analyses as they relate to consumables parts performance in high speed automation environments.
• Coordinate Engineering testing, process development and characterization, FAT/SAT protocols and qualification activities for validation and verification of consumables assembly process and equipment.
• Write reports documenting process development activities, verification and validation protocols, SOP’s and related technical reports to support the transfer of designs into Production and document status of consumables and equipment throughout a product lifecycle.
• Actively participate in group meetings and be a technical point person in project teams.
• Ability to prioritize and manage multiple, concurrent projects in a fast paced environment.
• Create custom fixtures and procedures for testing, inspection, or functional evaluation of consumables parts designs and compliance with specifications or intended use.
• Complete all assigned and required training satisfactorily and on time
Education and Experience (in years):
• Bachelor’s degree in field with 5 years of related work experience OR Master’s degree in field with 3 years of related work experience OR Doctoral degree in field with 0-2 years of related work experience.
• BS in Mechanical, Plastics, or Manufacturing Engineering or equivalent combination of education and experience to perform at this level.
Knowledge and skills:
• Working knowledge of GMP, ISO, and FDA rules and regulatory requirements.
• Proven experience with automated assembly equipment with a minimum of 3 years of direct related experience.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Proficiency with SolidWorks, MiniTab, and Microsoft Office applications.
• Experience with creating drawings, BOMs, product specifications, and engineering drawings.
MS/MBA preferred a plus.
Project management experience would be a plus.
Quality Management System experience preferred.
The statements in this description represent typical elements, criteria and general work performed. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties, and skills for this job.
Danaher Corporation Overview
Danaher is a global science & technology innovator committed to helping our customers solve complex challenges and improve quality of life worldwide. Our world class brands are leaders in some of the most demanding and attractive industries, including life sciences, medical diagnostics, dental, environmental and applied solutions. Our globally diverse team of 71,000 associates is united by a common culture and operating system, the Danaher Business System, which serves as our competitive advantage. We generated $19.9B in revenue last year. We are ranked #162 on the Fortune 500 and our stock has outperformed the S&P 500 by more than 5,200% over 25 years.
At Danaher, you can build a career in a way no other company can duplicate. Our brands allow us to offer dynamic careers across multiple industries. We're innovative, fast-paced, results-oriented, and we win. We need talented people to keep winning. Here you'll learn how DBS is used to shape strategy, focus execution, align our people, and create value for customers and shareholders. Come join our winning team.
Danaher is committed to competitive compensation that typically has key components including base salary, variable annual incentive compensation based on personal and company performance, and long-term incentive.
Job Function: Engineering
Primary Location: North America-North America-United States-CA-Sunnyvale
Req ID: CEP004089
Cepheid is an equal opportunity employer and strictly prohibits unlawful discrimination based upon an individual’s race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, national origin/ancestry, age, mental/physical disability, medical condition, marital status, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.